Monday, November 13

And they won!!!!

A uniquely good morning, it was, as I queued up late for Assembly as my bus hadn't arrived on time. Full of high expectations, I just couldnt wait for our Principal to announce that our football team was going to play in the finals of the 22nd Our Own Inter-School Football Tournament. And as soon as he did, I made sure I clapped the loudest, which obviously, I didn't :(
Anyway, as Assembly ended, I was frantically trying to spot all those students wearing their black football jerseys, and made my way to "best-of-luck" them. After a short period of well-wishing, I unfortunately, had to make my way to class. Which wasn't too bad after all, because we got more than 1, (2) periods of football!! Ironically, for the period that was ACTUALLY p.e., Mr.Senior-Supervisor concocted some weird reason for us not to go, at least I learned SOME literature during that period, courtesy Mr.ChubbyEnvironmentalGuy. At break, I went to Mr.Senior-Supervisor's Office, where he informed me that at half time, our very own DMHS football team was winning, 2-0!!!!

Ah, the overjoyness.

Anyway, periods came and went, with our minds only on the one thing, the match. Teachers screaming for us to stand up STILL didn't burst our bubble, yes, I know, strange.

The last period. History. And some weird quiz-like-thing that Mr.H'sHistory had created, and patented, last semester. "Sir, can I go to the Admin Block to ask Mr.AdminOfficer something? "

"No"

The last five minutes - "Sir, can I PLEASE go to the Admin Block to ask Mr.AdminOfficer something?"

"Come back soon"

Outside the classroom. In Mr.Senior-Supervisor's Office. "Sir, are there buses to Rashidya?"

"Let me call Mr.AdminOfficer."

"Ok"

He dials the number, and then puts the phone back on the hook.

He rushes outside, and what do I see?

A smiling Mr.Captain, and a smiling Mr.GuitarBoy, and a smiling Mr.PegasusHouseViolinist. And me, smiling. Yes, of course, I couldn't see myself. But I could feel it.

True champions, walking through the gym corridor, giants in their shoes, dirty with stains of victory. The first word that came to my mind? Congratulations. The second? Relief. Third? Happiness. That was probably the first time I felt so happy. For them, our football team. Giants in their shoes. The score? 4-1. A "trouncing". Congratulations.

Our football team, with so many 12th graders, probably their last tournament in this school, their dedication, the time they put into it, the effort, the pain.

And they won.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations to all of da football players..ma side 2..Mr..?..LOL!Very well written 1nce agn...-Trisha!!(1st 1 to comment n hu comments always..!..:P)

anish said...

hey thanks so much for the lovely post!

your support has been amazing! and i respect you for that!

well written too, loved the teacher connotations..:P

blog on & thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nish! ( Tis me Radhi, isn't letting me comment for some reason so have to be anonymous. )Yea I agree with Anish! Nice teacher/student connotations. My new 'word' has changeddd from stoical to overjoyness now :P ! Okay so um. About the post itself. Definitely your best one yet. Funny. Interesting. Supportive. Yet still totally Nishantish! Beeee-log on !

Anonymous said...

heyy...yea..it was great dat dey won!!!...nice new "names" fer ur teachers..good idea...btw...i didnt know u like Blues n Jazz

Anonymous said...

oiiii.... me's new to bloggosphere.. n i cat study right now..... CONGRATS to the guys!!!!!
n nice blog:)
tc!

*reshma* said...

good work...nyc blog, u can reely see tat their victory meant a lot 2 u...was funny and excitin and lat but not the least, congratulations to the guyz for an amazin game!!!

Rayna said...

hey...a well written post as always , like radhi said it's one of ur best posts so far. Congrats to the players for their victory!

Anonymous said...

Hey Congratulations to the football team! I'm glad that they won because for most of them, it's their last year in school and they came back victorious!!! We, 11th grade girls were not allowed to go which frankly, i found unfair. We did no take it lying down though. We whined, we complained, we protested but ofcourse Mr. Bloud was not to be moved. I prayed and prayed the whole morning, hoping we'd be allowed to go but to no avail! Thank you Nishant for this post. We owe our 12ths alot. Cheers