Okay well, for those few of you who haven't heard of the apparently girl-sounding, girl-looking, girly band, Tokio Hotel is NOT a girl-sounding, girl-looking (well, maybe sometimes), girly band. In fact, they're a very, VERY good band. Unique too, I can't find any bands even remotely similar to them. I mean, which band has members that listened Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin at SIX years old ? Which band was formed when they were just 12 ? Which band played gigs in bars and clubs at TWELVE YEARS OLD ? Even if you hate them to the core, you have to admit that that's just plain remarkable. I mean, 18 year old people in bands have problems, and fight, and disband after just months of playing. It takes a lot to be a band: dedication, talent, an inclination towards music, and more. It's just amazing that Tokio Hotel could do all this at just twelve years old.
They recorded and produced their first EP themselves under the band name Devilish. And yes, it was corny, but they were young, everyone's mind worked like that when they were 12. With 7 songs, and 3 of them in English, they were well on their way, composing music and producing it. In 2003, when Bill Kaulitz (the lead singer) was around 13-14, he participated in a competition called "Star Search", which he lost in the quarter finals. However, this competition was aired on TV, and this publicity was just what Tokio Hotel needed. Attracting the attention of producer Peter Hoffmann, who saw potential in this band. Along with a team of producers (David Jost, Dave Roth and Pat Benzner [who have produced bands like The Corrs and Faith Hill]), he set out and put Tokio Hotel in a studio, for recording. There was no doubt that these four had talent, and so, with a new era in their life, they changed their name from Devilish to Tokio Hotel.
Not long after, in fact, in the same year, they were signed with Sony BMG, and recorded their first single, Durch Den Monsun (Through the Monsoon, English version: Monsoon), which after being released in 2005, reached #1 in Germany, and then Austria. Their next single, Schrei (English version: Scream) reached #5, and then they debuted with an album of the same name.
And this is where inspiration comes in. At an average age of 16, they released their first album. An album. An actual album, in the actual market, with actual songs. I would do loads to do that, I mean, being on stage is my dream. Playing music, my entire life. And they did it, at 16. They inspired many, MANY people, who they didn't even know, at 16 years old.
The album, with twelve songs, written by Bill and the producers, went platinum. They later released two more singles, Rette Mich (English version: Rescue Me), and Der Letzte Tag (English version: Final Day). Both of them reached #1.
In 2007, they released another album, Zimmer 483 (Room 483), which ALSO reached #1. The singles from this album, Uebers Ende Der Welt (English version: Ready, Set, Go! [which reached #1]), Spring Nicht (English version: Don't Jump), and An Deiner Seite (Ich Bin Da) (English version: By Your Side), are fantastic songs, with amazing structure and melody. Bill's vocal lines are some of the best I have heard in ages; the lyrics are brilliant too. They then released two English albums, Scream and Room 483. The singles were Monsoon, the English version of their big break, Ready, Set, Go! and By Your Side.
Tokio Hotel received two nominations at the MTV EMAs: Best Band, and InterAct. They won InterAct. At 18 years old. They won an EMA.
At the EMAs, they played their song Monsoon, a stunning performance, with amazing technical assistance and stage antics. It was the best performance that evening, and I'm just not saying it. It's a fact.
Well, I'm sure, by now, you'll be like "Great ! Is the music any good ?" Well, actually, their music is brilliant. It's amazing. If you'd like me to give you a list of songs to download, I will. Actually, I will give you one. It will be long and tiring for you to read, but you can come here whenever you want something to download. People say that Bill sounds like a girl, which is true only to a certain extent. He doesn't sound like a girl, but his voice hadn't cracked on many of their songs, and so, his voice sounds a little babyish. People say Bill looks like a girl, but since when does looks interfere with music ? I don't mind him dressing the way he does at all, he probably has his reasons. And it isn't PROPER girly dressing, it's actually gothicish. He doesn't wear skirts and dresses and tube-tops and stuff like that.
After reading all this, I bet you're wondering what that thing at the top of the post is. Well, here goes. There are a good many fans of Tokio Hotel in Dubai, and I know it. I know it would be amazing if Tokio Hotel could come to Dubai, and we need to show Tokio Hotel that there are people here who do want them to come. It would be amazing, watching the people who inspire you, no longer pixels on a screen, but in front of you. Tokio Hotel has many fans, and this would make those fans' dreams come true. And you can make them come true, all you have to do is one small little thing. All you have to do is click on the "Demand it!" and follow through with the instructions provided, and you'll be helping a whole lot. Please do so, it would make so many people happy. Even if you don't like them, do it for us =P We'll be grateful, really. Thank you.
The list of songs. Okay, some songs have an English version, and some don't. However, all their German songs are on YouTube, with subtitles. I'm not entirely sure of which songs are available in English, but I'll give you a list with the best of what I know. The bold letters are the titles, and the other stuff is just information. Enjoy !
1. Schrei - (Tr: Scream) English version: Scream *
2. Durch Den Monsun - (Tr: Through the Monsoon) English version: Monsoon *
3. Leb die Sekunde - (Tr: Live the Second) English version: Live Every Second *
4. Rette Mich - (Tr: Rescue Me) English version: Rescue Me *
5. Freunde Bleiben - (Tr: Stay Friends) English version unavailable. *
6. Ich bin nicht Ich - (Tr: I am not Me) English version unavailable. *
7. Jung und Nicht Mehr Jugendfrei - (Tr: Young and No More Youth-Approved) English version unavailable. *
8. Der Letzte Tag - (Tr: The Final Day) English version: Final Day *
9. Unendlichkeit - (Tr: Eternity) English version unavailable.
10. Beichte - (Tr: Confessions) English version unavaiable. *
11. Schwarz - (Tr: Black) English version: Black
12. Frei Im Freien Fall - (Tr: Freely in Free Fall) English version unavailable. *
13. Hilf mir Fliegen - (Tr: Help me Fly) English version unavailable. *
14. 1000 Meere - (Tr: 1000 Seas) English version unavailable. *
15. Geh - (Tr: Go) English version unavailable.
16. Uebers Ende Der Welt - (Tr: After the End of the World) English version: Ready, Set, Go! *
17. Totgeliebt - (Tr: Dead Love) English version: Love is Dead *
18. Spring Nicht - (Tr: Don't Jump) English version: Don't Jump *
19. Heilig - (Tr: Sacred) English version: Sacred
20. Wo Sind Eure Hande - (Tr: Where are your Hands?) English version: Raise your Hands *
21. Stich Ins Gluck - (Tr: Stab in Luck) English version: On the Edge
22. Ich Brech Aus - (Tr: I Break Away) English version: Break Away *
23. Reden - (Tr: Talk) English version unavailable. *
24. Vergessene Kinder - (Tr: Forgotten Children) English version: Forgotten Children *
25. An Deiner Seite (Ich bin Da) - (Tr: By Your Side (I'm there)) English version: By Your Side *
26. In Die Nacht - (Tr: In the Night) English version unavailable. *
* Songs you MUST get.
Once you get these songs, and begin to like Tokio Hotel, as I'm sure you will, make sure you get an album or two of theirs. Tokio Hotel are a band that aspire to grow, and make more dreams come true. They need your support. And plus, it'll be authentic material for you to keep. Trust me, the albums are amazing, and if mine ever got lost, I wouldn't stay happy with the songs I have, I'd go out and buy those albums again. I mean, I got my Schrei album, and my Zimmer 483 album from FRANCE ! And I live in Dubai !! =P Either way, search and you will find =)
Phew, that was tiring but fun. Enjoy !! =D
P.S. If the gadget at the top doesn't work, http://eventful.com/performers/P0-001-000005048-4/demand



4 comments:
Woot. What a review !
This is SO going on 90 % of their fansites.
It's hard to write reviews, but this one's just BRILLIANT.
I agree with shalaka. This was very good reading. If I should be realy critical, I kan say that Wo Sind Eure Hände directly translated mean Where's your hands, and Totgeliebt mean Deadloved (ha ha, that isn't even a word on english, isn't it :P).
But a very brilliant article. All their songs is fantastic, and you can look forward to a concert ^^
It's a nice review but it would be better if you directed people to where they can buy the music instead of giving it away
Thanks Shaluuu =D
Regitze, thanks :) I edited the post with the better translations of those song titles.
Anonymous, thanks but people have to like Tokio Hotel to go and actually buy their stuff. So, I provided a list of their bestest songs for people to get. Thanks though =) I'll edit the post with your idea in mind though, a bit.
Post a Comment