Wednesday, February 14

The Hyperly Overly Screwed Up Performance (H.O.S.U.P.)

Okay.

a) This is not a joke.
b) Don't laugh.
c) I don't expect sympathy, but neither do I expect rashness.

I'm sure all of you witnessed the horrific performance in school, aka H.O.S.U.P.
Let me describe what happened.

Before that, let me apologise. To the band, I'm sorry I started at double the tempo. I really am, trust me, and I warned you that I would screw up. I don't even know why. But I did. I'm sorry I misled all of you into a HUGE H.O.S.U.P. I really didn't mean to.

To Mr.Rodericks, I'm sorry for wasting your time, if I did. Thank you for your guidance. Thank you for your AMAZING guidance.

To Mr.Anthony Joseph, I'm sorry for raising your hopes. I know you conted on us, and I know we messed up, but we didn't mean to, I didn't mean to. I would NEVER want to mess up a song.

To the crowd, sorry for hurting your ears.

To John Frusciante, sorry for screwing up your amazing song. Thank you. And I'm very VERY sorry.

Well then, this is what happened.

I start. I mess up. I play at 500 times the tempo. I mess up. I mute notes. I mess up. I skip notes. I mess up.

Throughout the song, I mess up.

The cable of the bass on the drum got loose. I mess up.

Darien's mic was off. I mess up.

I was shaking. I mess up.

It hurt. I mean HOW could we get it right EVERY practice, and on stage, the most important part, HOW could we mess up? WHY did we mess up?

It's unthinkable. And as much as I don't want to think about it, I have to.
It's unbelievable, and as much as I don't want to think about it, I have to.

I don't know what to say or do anymore. Maybe I'll just keep my guitar away in some cupboard ot some lonely corner for sometime, maybe even for good. Who knows.

PS. Thanks yous Radhii!!!!!! That was really awesome :) I am really really grateful.

14 comments:

s.p said...

nishant!!.. it wasnt that bad.. and it was good for a first performance..n i'm not givin u ny sympathy.. its just my opinion..every1 messes up.. n it wasnt ur fault..

cheer up!
tc
siya

abhishek said...

ok lsn up...even if it was bad...it's ok man..ur a really good guitarist nad ur gonna have many more oppurtunities!!!
Also..darien's mike not being on is not ur fault!!!
amrit's paddle getting disconnected is not ur fault...so stop taking the blame for evrything...darien shd have checked his mike and amrit shd have taken care of his drum set..chill man..it's ok
u will do better next time..tc

Radhii said...

Okay I was just discussing this with you, and since you're just obsessed with bringing yourself down, I might as well write it all down here even though I'm talking to you.

Firstly. Most importantly,I, everyone knows that you can play way better than that so it doens't matter!

2 ... You weren't THAT bad. Yes your tempo at the beginning was double as fast .. But it doesn't matter because you weren;t the only one who fouled up. Dariens mike was off for heavens sake !! That's probably what got you nervous!

3 ... The most of the audience thought you were fine. And that matters.


Happy V day again .. !!

Lastiii .. again. You're welcome! I wanted to show you how much you meant to me =)

Shalaka said...

Hey!

I'm honestly saying (no sympathy etc), it wasn't as bad as you think it was. Maybe it wasn't as good as you hoped it would be, but as Siya said, everyone makes mistakes - everyone messes up.

Don't you DARE put your guitar away anywhere. Everyone messes up a performance one time or the other. It wasn't your fault the mike was off in the beginning, and i swear - quite a few people thought the whole double tempo thing sounded pretty cool (NO JOKE)!

You guys did not hurt anyone's ears. I was there - Some of us home lunch people snuck into school lunch because that's what big fans we are of you, and Schmizel!! You didn't let anyone down.

So please, don't give up your guitar (you gave me a mild heart attack by saying that) and it was not a 'huge H.O.S.U.P!

I'm sure we're all still BIG FANS - i know i am!

TC!

Unknown said...

I dont wanna tok about it....

Sonia said...

Hey Nishant!!

Hey, if we dont make mistakes we never learn...trust me...i should know!! Richard Bach once said... "There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go."

Dont be too hard on yourself!!

Take care!!

-Sonia...:)

PS: like Siya said..... CCCHHHHEEEEEEEAAAAARRRR UUUUPPPP!!!

matz said...

Stop being so pesimistic about the whole thing man. It was fine. U cant blame yourself for everytin.
Look at the brighter side, u hv more time to improve, USE IT .. instead of locking ur guitar up n all dat shit .. its good to make mistakes if u have an intention of improving so cheer up ... man..

TC
Mathew

*reshma* said...

im sure after readin all these comments u dont need me 2 tel that u guyz werent that bad...wait i shud rephrase that...YOU!! werent that bad...things happen...good and bad and possibly that just wasnt ur day.. no biggie!! just promise urself n ur band buddies n us that ull do better next time!!...with or without mistakes, itll still remain a reely gr8 experience...n dont u dare keep away that guitar or else ill lock u up in ur cupboard!!...and remember there are some of us who die to be in ur guyz place...take it from me...u guyz were good but not great...still, no worries kiddo!!

Radhii said...

Yesh and I shall assist Reshma in locking you up =)

Anonymous said...

It happens.
Technical difficulties (mikes, drums) shouldn't make you guys feel like youre not talented.

Yes, I know its hard to move on and not dwell on what it could have been.

After all, we're all human.

I remember some advice you gave me
which was to grow and draw inspiration from past experiences.

Guitar obviously means alot to you.
Don't beat yourself up over what happened.

IT WASN'T YOUR FAULT!

Anonymous said...

hey..well i dint c it..so i kant say nythin..but its ok..jus dunt think abt it..it happens..
IT WASNT UR FAULT..
Take care..
-Trisha(3sha)

anish said...

shit it went that badly?

anwyay you live and learn...i heard u guys in the music room the same day..and u guys were pretty impressive i must say!

just dont over think about this...its better u mess up now then later - but LEARN from this! :)

rock on and blog on! =D

P.S. dont u dare put the guitar is some cupboard! :@

Juhi said...

It's okay for you to think you messed up. I say this because you'll do better the next time. Just don't lock your guitar into a cupboard or you're seriously gonna get it from me.

You've always told me not to put myself down. Now i can say it to you. DON'T PUT YOURSELF DOWN! You know you're great and that's what matters. You'll be better next time, i promise. Besides, everyone has their bad days. Eg: My scrreeewwwweeedddd up performance on Children's Day. And I still got second! *punches air*

You didn't hurt my ears.:D

Jozieeee

Kapil.. said...

Hey nishant i suggest you lock the guitar in the cupboard man

But gimme the key :P

Ill steal ur guitar !! and there you go i have an electric guitar

I think it was totally worth it because all the excitement and da practicin was wayyyyy fun ...plus we gotta play with ALI ..yayyyy..That was fun i must say ..Plus we learnt the song in 3 bloody days and it was perfect in the music room ..WEll learn to play for an audience gradually ..The mistakes are fun

Acoustic Lunch next ,.,.

--The acoustic boy --

KC